Saturday, December 1, 2007

Adventures in Painting

Well, today I officially accomplished my first painting project in our home, our master closet. It was a small job, but a good start. We took down some shelving when we first moved in that the previous owners left in the closet. I don't think it was the most efficient use of space. Before putting up the ones we bought, we wanted to paint. The walls were scuffed and dirty. I don't ever remember painting anything in a house. I helped paint storage sheds in college on a trip to Jacksonville with Habitat for Humanity, but I don't know if that really counts. I guess that makes it official - I'm a homeowner :). I'm kind of proud of myself, although a small job, I did it on my own. Chae went snowboarding with a friend. Although I had hoped he'd be the one painting and not me, he deserves to have some fun. These last few months have been hard on him, one thing after the other with no break. While separating from the Air Force his full time job became looking for another job (going to interviews, job hunting, weekend long job conferences all over the US, etc.). He went straight into his new job at Sun without a break, and while trying to learn his new job, we drove across the country (from VA where we were staying with my parents) to Colorado. Then there was the stress and business of moving - renting a home, home shopping, buying a home, moving into that home, and all the many things that come along with not only moving but purchasing a home. During this whole time he's also been working on his MBA, needless to say, he deserved to have some fun in the snow. He's been dying to go snowboarding for months (one of the reasons we moved to Colorado). He bought a new board right before we left Korea in 2006, but has only used it 3 maybe 4 times. Last winter was pretty mild in Europe, not much snow, even in the Alps. He invited me to come along, but I opted to stay home and work on the house. I can't wait until we have it the way I envision (which may be a while). I figure I'll have more opportunities to go. Not sure if I'm ready to endure hours of being in the cold. I'm trying to ease into it. If it were up to my husband, we'd be snowboarding every weekend. Anyway, he promised he'd be back in time for our date tonight. We are going to Denver for a Christmas event this evening, a Parade of Lights. I love Christmas. I'm also excited because next week Chae takes his final and then he'll have six weeks off from school, so we can hang out, work on the house, and really enjoy the holiday season. Well, I should go. I think I've recovered from the dizziness of paint fumes. Have some cleaning to do and then get ready for this evening. I'll keep you posted on future paint ventures. Next painting project: our bedroom. I have an idea of what color I'd like, but I'm waiting until we get a bedroom set. We've been looking for one. I want to make sure the colors compliment each other.


Side note - I can't believe its already December 1st. The last month of 2007. Time flies, sometimes I wish I could slow it down.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Shemy,

Welcome to blogging! I wish we were in Colorado with you! Liliana wants to meet you. :) I look forward to seeing pictures of your new house-congratulations!

Let us know how we can be praying...

Love, April in Italy

marangelie caballero said...

oh i am so proud of my sister! :] you should post a photo of your new house, or email me one! one of the girls who previously lived in our house, left a pair of ski equipment in the closet. i thought about taking them home, and getting them to you, since no one here is using them. interested? i know you've snowboard, dont know if your interested in skiing. but just let me know. love you!

-mara