Thursday, January 31, 2008

The Joys of Colorado

Okay, don't get me wrong, I really like Colorado. It's beautiful and I love all the open space, a nice change from the East Coast and the congestion of DC. People here are so laid-back and friendly, there are so many outdoor activities to pursue, and I love all the conveniences we didn't have in Aviano, but I'm not used to all this snow. I mean it hasn't been that bad, we haven't had to dig ourselves out or anything. I think the snow is beautiful, I just hate the mess we're left with afterwards, the slick roads and sidewalks and the shovelling.

Yesterday evening I left the house to run some errands, when I left there were snow flurries falling, but nothing was sticking. It seemed like in no time that changed. I couldn't have spent more than 20 minutes in a store when I walked out to barely visible conditions. The wind was blowing, the snow was falling hard, and the roads were covered. What should have been a 15 minute trip home (maximum), turned into a stressful 45 minutes. The roads were bad and it was difficult to see through the large snowflakes. Cars had spun out and were stuck all over the roads. We made sure both our cars had 4 wheel drive and were good for such conditions, for which I am thankful, but it was still stressful. A few times I coudn't stop and feared I'd hit someone. I prayed most of the way home and was thankful when I got home safely. This morning I woke up to a beautiful sunny day, one problem, Chae is gone and the driveway and sidewalk were covered in snow. I don't think I've ever really had to shovel. Growing up my parents usually took care of the shovelling, and we lived in a townhouse, so there wasn't as much space to shovel. In college, the facilities/grounds people took care of the shovelling, and snow hasn't been a big deal the last two years when we were overseas. Besides, I don't think I've ever lived anywhere known for getting snow as frequently as here. I procrastinated as long as I could, and finally headed out. It took me an hour and 10 minutes and our driveway looks nowhere near as pretty and clean as everyone elses. It's obvious that I'm an amateur. Shovelling is Chae's job, but he wasn't here to do it. One of the conditions I gave before moving here was that I wouldn't have to shovel snow (Chae's been talking about moving back to Colorado since we dated, I was always a little unsure). I know, it makes me sound like a diva, but everyone knows that I'm kind of h&m (high maintenance, it's a nickname Chae gave me), it's just that I'm not a fan of the cold. It really should not have taken that long anyway. Chae does it much faster, but he is also much bigger and stronger than me. I was also trying to scrape off the snow that had turned to ice. At least I got a workout in, especially since I didn't make it to the gym this morning, and Kiera enjoys it. We throw the snow at her when shovelling and she eats it (you cans see pics in a few posts back). She eats so much snow she is literally throwing it up, peeing a lot, and shivering, but she cries hysterically if we don't let her enage in this activity. She's always loved the snow. Anyway, I finished with an aching back and shoulders, and a blister or two.

I wish I could say that was my last complaint of the day, but one more incident occured as a consequence of yesterday's beautiful snowfall, I bit it. I was leaving the Home Depot and was just a few feet from the car when I slipped on a patch of ice and landed on my right butt cheek/hip/back. Contrary to what some of you out there might be thinking, I was wearing tennis shoes, not stilettos. I think that's the first fall I've ever had on the ice. I'm usually cautious after it snows and am wary of the ice patches. This time I was not paying attention and was in a hurry to get to the car. No worries, I'm fine. It didn't hurt at all at the time, and no one saw (although I wouldn't have cared, I don't think they would have laughed when we're all slipping and sliding). The area is just a tad sore right now, but fine. I think our weekend snowboarding trips and my crash landings have prepared me for such a moment. I'm more annoyed than anything else. I wish we could enjoy the beauty of the snow without the consequences.

1 comment:

The Giles Family said...

I'm with you Shemy! I love to look at snow falling through a window with a roaring fireplace, but other than that,it's pretty overrated...I'm totally "HM" when it comes to shoveling snow... I'm all for a good workout,but it's usually bad timing. I guess no matter where you live there's always those minor inconveniences. Hope you're not too sore.
Blessings,
Michelle