Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Don't Blow Away


You know, Chae told me a lot about Colorado. He told me about the 300+ days of sunshine a year, the snow, weather patterns, temperature, the mountains, all there is to do here (i.e. hiking, snowboarding, camping), but he forgot to mention one thing, one thing that seems to be very significant, or perhaps I should say aggressive, in Colorado - the wind. I have never experienced such strong winds so frequently before. It's crazy. It's very windy right now and was so most of the night. You can hear the wind howling around the house, threatening to burst through the windows. There are many windy days in Colorado. I've only been here for four months, and as I stated before, I've never experienced so much wind. I don't know if it comes down off the mountains or what. It can be warm and windy or cold and windy. Maybe that is why you can see four seasons in one day here, the wind must blow in the weather. In our rental house (which we stayed in for 2 months) we actually had to take the table umbrella down and put it in the shed. I thought the wind would break it.
When I studied in the South of France, we learned all about the powerful wind down there. The wind there even has a name "Le Mistral" ("masterly,"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mistral_(wind) , in this link you can see a picture of the wind blowing in Marseille, I was 20 minutes north of there). I think the wind in Colorado should have a name too. Any suggestions? Either way, the wind I experienced in the South of France pales in comparison to the wind I've experienced here, although I was there for such a short time.
I hope it doesn't sound like I'm complaining, because I'm not. It doesn't really bother me, I'm just surprised at its intensity and the frequency at which it occurs. We've actually had really nice weather the last few days. It was in the 60s. We went snowboarding on Saturday and it was beautiful, sunny and warm. I wanted to post some pictures, but Chae left for Rochester, NY (business) yesterday and won't be back until Friday. He has the laptop which has all of our pictures. Well, I must go. I have a lot to do, which means I must venture out in the wind.

1 comment:

The Giles Family said...

I was so encouraged and blessed by your comment on my blog! I hope all is well in Colorado. I know I enjoyed having you in my class! Tom's parents live in Colorado Springs. The winds in Colorado don't even come close to the winds in South Dakota and Wyoming...Even when the snow falls it comes down sideways.. :)...So consider yourself blessed. Have a great day... I'm adding your blog to my page.

Blessings,
Michelle