Friday, March 21, 2008

Happy Spring!



Spring is in the air . . . actually it has officially arrived (although some of you reading this blog may not yet be experiencing it). Yesterday, March 20 was the first day of spring. I think it's called the vernal equinox. It was a beautiful day here in Colorado, a perfect welcome to the new season, 66 degrees, sunny, with a slight breeze and birds chirping. It was so difficult not to get caught up in it. I leisurely sipped a cup of tea yesterday morning, while sitting in our window nook and lazily daydreaming out the window, before beginning my day. I think Kiera was jealous. She loves to bask in the sun, and wanted to be in my place. She kept whining. It was so difficult to pull myself away, but alas, there were things to be accomplished. It was such a hammock day. We don't even own one, but I envisioned myself laying in one and lazily reading.

I actually heard my first birdsong of the year on Tuesday morning around 6 am. I was so unaccustomed to the sound, (I had forgotten it, seems like it had been so long since I'd heard it) that it took me a while to realize what it was. To my content, I realized that this song signified that spring was on its way. After a while it did get annoying, especially since it was so early, but I had to get up anyway. I must admit, however, that I do love the sound. It seems to bring so many promises of newness and life with it.

I feel much happier when the weather is warm and the days get longer. I feel like I can be more productive. Although I enjoy the beauty of the winter, the cold and darkness make me want to just cuddle under the covers. The days have been getting longer, and after daylight savings, the sun is setting much later. The days of sundresses and flip flops seem not to distant from now. Of course, I must remind myself that although it is officially spring, the weather can turn just like that and we could get more snow. I don't doubt that, especially here in Colorado. The weather can turn so fast. I was watching the TV at the gym yesterday, and while we were enjoying beautiful weather down here, it was snowing in the mountains.

My favorite part of spring is that morning when you realize the earth has been reborn. It seems to happen almost overnight. One minute everything is dead, and the next thing you know, you're driving somewhere some spring morning and you look around to see that everything is adorned with blossoms. It is as though nature has dressed itself in fine garments. No not nature, but its creator. At least that is how it happens to me. Of course, it is still too early to see that here. This will be my first spring in Colorado, so we'll see how it goes. If only spring could last a little longer.

For those of you who think Colorado is unbearably cold, I have to say that this winter was not bad at all. We get lots of sunshine, and the sun here feels so much stronger. I don't know why. Some people say it is because we are higher up, but I'm not sure (Denver is called the "Mile High City" because it is 5,280 feet above sea level). On a sunny day (which happens more than 300 days a year) it feels a lot warmer than at the same temperature on the east coast. It is also dry here. No humidity, which makes for very clear skies. We can see for miles. We can even clearly see Denver (high rises) from here. The winter has been mild, with spurts of snow and cold here and there. Actually, when it's really cold, it doesn't snow. Since sometime in February, we have had many days of 5o-60+ degree weather, with intermittent spurts of snow. The snow however melts so fast. It can snow one day, and be gone by the end of the next. Many of you know that I am always cold, but I haven't really had issues here. I think that over time my body has also regulated itself. So please, don't be scared to visit ;).

Hmmm . . . My little sis is studying in Buenos Aires, Argentina for the semester. Since it is in the southern hemisphere, the seasons are opposite from ours. She got there during our winter and their summer, so I guess, they must be transitioning to fall now. So Mara, what's the weather like there now? Still hot?

2 comments:

Dyllan's Dependents said...

I am so jealous. It is just above freezing here in NY and we still have feet of snow. I desperately want spring to come to the east coast and the snow to be gone. Hope all is well. Glad you are posting again.
Liz

marangelie caballero said...

hi shemy! i love reading the things you write, they are so poetic.

oh i will miss spring, i wont have one this year, instead two falls. i do love fall though. but i will have to live my spring through your writings.

the leaves are just starting to turn orange here and little by little falling off the trees. the weather here is starting to get into the seventies more, which i enjoy. but we still have our random days of 80s and 90s. it has been raining alot lately, but it usually only rains for 15 mins max. my host mom and professors say that the weather here is drastically changing because of global warming. its turing into a tropical country. and argentina has had a few tornados lately, which never used to happen! oh what will happen to our poor nature. i miss you, i love you. and keep writing!

i want to be an illustrator. write childrens stories for me to illustrate like the one you made about abuelito.